American Express is a global service company, providing customers with exceptional access to products and experiences that enrich lives and build business success.
Each day, we make it easier, safer and more rewarding for consumers and businesses to purchase the things they need and for merchants to sell their goods and services, enabling them to do and achieve more.
We're committed to becoming the world's most respected service brand and daily deliver extraordinary service to our customers, constantly reinventing our ways of working to ensure we offer rich rewards that redefine expectations for our clients and ourselves.
Vacancies exist for a Java Engineer and a Senior Java Engineer within Foreign Exchange International Payments Technology in American Express, Burgess Hill.
The position suits someone who can hit the ground running, form good working relationships quickly and also add value by introducing best practice design and techniques learned elsewhere.
The successful candidates will join existing agile teams to design, develop, troubleshoot, debug, evaluate, modify, deploy and document software and systems that meet the needs of customer-facing applications, business applications, and/or internal end user applications.
Applications for the senior role must have proven technical leadership skills that demonstrate helping set direction and mentoring members of the team.
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Software development experience in a professional environment and/or comparable experience.
- Familiar with Agile or other rapid application development methods.
- Experience with design and coding across one or more object oriented platforms and languages.
- Java programmer (minimum Java 7, Java 8 preferable).
- Knowledge of Spring including MVC, AOP, Spring Boot, REST, XML, Microservice architecture, Cucumber, JPA, JUnit, Mocking, JSP, Oracle DB SQL, JEE and Struts.
- Desirable to have cloud experience, especially Docker, Unix and service discovery tools.
- Desirable to have experience with performance and monitoring tools e.g. Splunk and App Dynamics.
- Application server deployment and configuration experience.
- Knowledge of automated build / continuous delivery, experience of Maven, Jenkins, Groovy and other JVM languages a plus.
- Hands-on experience with application design, software development and automated testing Exposure to distributed (multi-tiered) systems, algorithms, and relational databases.
- Current knowledge of payments industry desirable.
- Manages seamlessly across time zones, cultures, and band levels.
- Communicates effectively with Technical, Operational, and Business stakeholders.
- Must be willing and able to express new ideas, concerns and opinions directly to wider team in team meetings via teleconference.
- Attention to detail and accuracy are essential.
- Must be proactive, enthusiastic, flexible, and results driven.
- Bachelor's Degree in computer science, computer engineering, or related field required.
We place great importance on doing what is right, what is best and what is innovative. And we continue seeking people to champion these values and beliefs as we grow. The world's a big place, filled with big ideas and amazing people. And we want the best of them here at American Express. We're interested in where you came from, but we're even more excited about where you will go with American Express.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process - or need any reasonable adjustments to be made - then please contact the Recruitment Team on or (for Russia based candidates ).