What is Invisible?
Who are we?
We are Invisible’s Technologies Team. We solve problems at scale so they never happen again. At our best, we solve problems before they happen. How?
We Believe That
- Invisible is a world-changing company and the Technologies Team is responsible for creating the systems that will launch Invisible into the stratosphere.
- Exponential gains from systems > Short term linear work > Systems for system's sake.
- Consistent feedback is key - we are addicted to learning and getting better.
- What one of us knows, all of us should know.
- Every new mistake is a learning opportunity
Because of these beliefs, we’ve built a team where
- Distributed approaches and centralized intelligence merge. Each teammate is constantly innovating and trying something new. Every mistake is prevented by all. Every success is learned by all.
- Each of us contains the sum of the knowledge, intelligence, and creativity of our entire team.
- We evolve and mutate constantly like an organism, identifying successful and problematic tactics and incorporating ideas from any source.
Who We Want
- Engineers who love to design and build beautiful code.
- Polymaths and independent thinkers.
- Someone who is unlike anyone else on the team.
What Senior Engineers are expected to do well
- Communication - Proactively communicate status, identify blockers and problems as soon as possible. Don't make us chase.
- Systemic improvement - Don’t just follow orders. Question them. Question everything. Make improvements to how we work, not just our team, but the entire company.
- Systems thinking - Build systems that scale, optimize around constraints, architect towards the future, and create beautiful solutions to difficult problems.
- Shipping - Deliver results with speed and quality.
- Teamwork - A culture where personal and team growth thrive and we become better every single week Growth - Tenaciously improve yourself day after day at an exponential rate, and bring the company with you.
Specifically, a Senior Engineer will
- Own their areas of the codebase.
- Lead architecture, implementation plans for different features.
- Lead on execution on those plans, including documentation and automated tests.
- Review code daily and be able to pair often.
- Mentor the engineers on the squad.
- Keep head on a swivel for newer and better technologies, if applicable.
- Familiarity with our stack, and desire to learn more on the job
Whenever possible, we use the best tools for the job. Since a lot of what we do is asynchronous, and talking with external APIs, we saw Typescript as a natural fit for most of our stack (though this decision can always be questioned).
- React.js (functional components + hooks), Apollo Graphql, Next.js
- Node.js, TypeScript, Postgresql, Redis, Kafka
- Serverless functions on Vercel
We love open source! We share publicly as much of our code as possible.
Share your Github/Gitlab/StackOverflow or similar profiles. If you are contributing to an open source projects, proudly flaunt them!
What to expect if you join our mission
- You will work on the most important problem - We always solve the most important problem and prioritize to make effective use of our time.
- You will never do the same thing twice - Do it once, learn, systematize, automate, upgrade. We are exponential.
- You will never work on a problem that should have been prevented - Prioritize, execute, and prevent future problems.
- You will systematize or document most things - Creating systems checks if you really understand what you're doing, allows others to analyze for improvements, and means the entire team upgrades together.
- You will make mistakes - That’s okay. This is how we learn. Prevent the mistake from happening again.
- You will be empowered and encouraged to act with creativity - We have no limits. Every team member is empowered to upgrade our collective intelligence with new ideas. Act with moxie. Act with creativity. Act with inspiration
“The culture is imbued with romantic capitalist values. These are just a few:
- heroism (be insanely ambitious, you should want your boss’ job, you have a moral obligation to seek power and use it for good, the modern knight fights abstract dragons),
- challenge (welcome adversity, struggles, and suffering, steel yourself for the worst, challenge problems to a duel, seek the widest possible stage for your talents, identify and solve for the biggest problem you can find),
- meritocracy (create and measure the value you create, strive to be the best), ownership (you are the CEO until told otherwise),
- collaboration (solving problems together benefits everyone),
- competition (if you outperform you will be rewarded),
- glory (do the great work of your life, here and now, the work that you were made for, and that you will be remembered for — seek your aristeia moment),
- truth (seek the truth, express yourself freely, confront problems head-on, be as transparent as possible, don’t hide the bad and the ugly, stand up for your opinion by engaging in debate, change your mind when you’re wrong), and
- intensity (work HARD, don’t waste time, the more fully you absorb yourself in your work, the more aggressively you work, the better you work).”
Join Our Team - THIS IS A FULL-TIME REMOTE POSITION
“Do it because you want to do something on the edge of hard and impossible. Do it if you are the unstoppable force seeking an immovable object. You want to see what you’re made of. Do it if you want to test your limits: your ability to create order in chaos, to operate under extreme stress, to achieve impossible goals…
Do it because you personally want a synthetic intelligence. Do it because you want to solve the biggest problem in the world: wasted time. Do it if you want humans to spend less time doing robotic jobs, and more time being creative and strategic.”
So what do you say, will you join us?